Adding toppings to your popcorn completely transforms this basic snack into something amazing. The nation loves to top their popcorn with savory toppings, with butter and white cheddar being the winners.
In third and fourth place are sweet types of popcorn; caramel and kettle corn.
So, if you’re looking for some new and exciting ideas for popcorn toppings, look no further, as we’ve compiled the ultimate list.
Sweet Popcorn Topping Ideas
- Sugar – it’s a classic that tastes great and works well.
- Marshmallows – melted or just simply thrown on top of popcorn – the choice is yours!
- Milk chocolate – simply melt some milk chocolate and drizzle over the popcorn.
- Caramel – drop a large spoonful (or two!) over your popcorn, mix well, and devour.
Learn how to make caramel popcorn here.
- Gingerbread – crumble up some gingerbread and shake it over your popcorn.
- Cinnamon sugar – mix cinnamon and sugar together and sprinkle on your popcorn.
- Coconut & dark chocolate – splash melted dark chocolate on the popcorn and top with lots of coconut.
- Honey – a small drop is all you need for extra sweet popcorn.
- White chocolate & raspberry – a combination that works well together. Melt the white chocolate and generously add raspberries.
- Salted caramel – arguably better than plain caramel. A little goes a long way.
- Cookies & cream – crush up some Oreos and mix in with the popcorn.
- Peanut butter – melt in the microwave and pour over your popcorn.
- Mint choc chip – a dash of mint extract with butter and honey makes the perfect minty glaze. Throw in some choc chips and tuck in.
- Red velvet – coat the popcorn in melted white chocolate and smother in it red velvet bread crumbs.
- Snickers – melt a Snickers bar and tip on popcorn.
- Christmas popcorn – put melted white chocolate all over the popcorn and top with red and green sprinkles. Smash up and throw in some candy canes for extra festive flavor.
- Zebra – all you need to do is drizzle white and dark chocolate over your popcorn.
- Sticky Pretzels – combine with the popcorn and stick together with lashings of caramel.
- Candy – add your favorite candies to your popcorn bowl.
- Apple & cinnamon – add slices of dried apple and a dash of cinnamon.
- Spiced fruit – just throw in your preferred spices and fruit and mix them together.
- Dried cranberries – for an extra sweet taste.
- Orange creamsicle – best smothered onto your popcorn and baked in the oven.
- Butterscotch – pour on, sit back, and treat yourself.
- Corn syrup – easy to make and delicious to eat.
- Birthday cake – perfect for kids. Add lots of white chocolate, marshmallows, and sprinkles for perfection.
- Pumpkin spice – add pumpkin spice to butter for an autumnal treat.
- Sweet coffee – combine coffee and sugar and pour on your popcorn.
- Cocoa powder – a light dusting is perfect.
- Sugar & sprinkles – for fans of sweet popcorn.
- Peaches – use fresh or freeze-dried peaches and combine with a little honey.
- Candied popcorn – a mix of corn syrup, jello, and food coloring.
- Peanut butter & jello – they work so well together, so why not put them on popcorn?
- Root beer – butter, beer, and a little sugar are all you need for this naughty treat.
- Bourbon – Mix the bourbon with corn syrup and brown sugar.
- Toffee – melt and pour all over.
- Fudge – finely chop and mix well.
- Almond & cherries – chop finely and mix into the popcorn.
- Strawberries & cream – mix melted white chocolate and freeze-dried strawberries.
- Biscoff – melt Biscoff spread and pour over the popcorn.
Savoury Popcorn Topping Ideas
- Salt – it’s simple and oh-so good.
- Cheese – grate as much or as little as you like.
READ NEXT: How to add cheese flavor to your popcorn
- Ranch dressing – combine with butter to get it to stick.
- Mixed herbs – a little butter and your best herbs taste great on popcorn.
- Garlic and onion – finely chop and stir into your popcorn.
- Chili – sprinkle all over.
- Lemon and lime – a squeeze of each will make your popcorn stand out.
- Bacon & cheese – add fine pieces of crispy bacon and top with grated cheese.
- Dill – perfect for pickle fans.
- Sour cream & onion – use a ready-made seasoning or make your own.
- BBQ – mix butter, honey, and classic spices for a bold flavor.
- Hot & spicy – the more spices, the hotter it will be.
- Butter – the more the better!
- Parmesan cheese – grate over warm popcorn for best results.
- Buffalo sauce – throw as much on as you like.
- Mixed seeds – use any seeds you like for a healthy bowl of popcorn.
- Pepper – pour onto oiled popcorn and shake.
- Curry powder – add as much spice as you like.
- Nuts – mix your favorite nuts with popcorn for a healthy, protein-packed snack.
- Pesto – tip a pesto mix over your popcorn and mix in with your hands.
- Goat’s cheese – sprinkle all over your popcorn. Melt under the grill for gooey goodness.
- Tex Mex – mix paprika, chili, cumin, and garlic with a little oil and place on a bowl of popcorn.
- Taco seasoning – a store-bought version works well.
- Salt & vinegar – add a dash of vinegar along with your salt.
- Rosemary – sprinkle a little rosemary and shake well to mix.
- Pepperoni Pizza – a perfect combo of popcorn, pepperoni, cheese, and oregano.
- Wasabi – make a wasabi butter mix and pour it on the popcorn.
- Truffle zest – toss the truffle zest in and mix.
- Flavacol – the secret behind movie popcorn gives a pleasurable salty, butter taste.
READ NEXT: How to cook popcorn that tastes like it does at the movies
- Jerk seasoning – sprinkle, shake, and enjoy!
- Nutritional yeast – pop the kernels in oil to get the nutritional yeast to stick.
- Sriracha seasoning – add to melted butter and tip onto the popcorn.
- Everything Bagel seasoning – Goes well with butter popcorn.
- Soy sauce – shake on, toss your popcorn, and eat up.
- Mac & cheese – take the powder from a box of mac and cheese and throw it all over popcorn that’s been cooked in oil.
- Parsley – mix with a little butter and pour on.
- Mozzarella – shred and enjoy the milky taste it adds to your popcorn.
- Romano cheese – grate a generous helping all over your popcorn.
- Sun-dried tomato & basil – gives popcorn a tangy twist. Finely chop and mix well.
- Cajun – start with a little and gradually add more to get the perfect mix.
The toppings you can put on popcorn are endless. We hope that this list inspires you to try some tasty new toppings the next time you’re in the mood for some popcorn.
Sue’s favorite pastime? Watching a good movie with a giant tub of popcorn by her side. Her friends and family know that if they want to get her something, popcorn is always a safe bet. Sue has an adventurous spirit and loves to travel exploring new places – she’s been to more than 40 countries!