Popcorn machines are a wonderful addition to any celebration, including a wedding. It is easy to find one. You can set it up and it will hold popcorn and keep it fresh and warm for your guests. A novel idea for the reception and guests will enjoy having this delicious finger food. Continue reading to learn all about a popcorn machine rental for a wedding.
Is it Easy to Rent a Popcorn Machine?
It is very easy to rent a popcorn machine. The first thing to do is to ask the venue where you are holding your wedding. They may have one that they offer to people who hold events at their venue. If not, there are plenty of other options.
Party rental stores often have popcorn machines for rent.
You can choose from different styles, such as old-fashioned popcorn machines with a cart or tabletop models. Getting a popcorn machine for your wedding is a simple process and all you need is the kernels and oil to enjoy it.
What Do I Need with a Popcorn Machine Rental?
When you rent a popcorn machine, you will need kernels, oil, any toppings you want to offer, and serving bags. It is easy to find these items. You can buy gourmet popcorn kernels in large jugs and you have a lot of oil choices.
You can buy regular popcorn oil or a healthier option if you choose. You just need to decide how you want to serve the popcorn. You can easily order your supplies online or the popcorn rental company might offer the supplies as well.
How Does a Popcorn Machine Work?
Although there are different kinds of popcorn machines that slightly vary in how they operate, most of the rentals will be a popcorn machine on a cart or a tabletop model. They are electric and you will need to plug them in.
Popcorn machines have a kettle that has a stirring mechanism. You place the uncooked kernels and oil in the kettle and then you can turn it on. The machine will heat the kettle, which in turn heats the oil. The oil surrounds the popcorn kernel and heats it.
Popcorn pops because it is made of two layers. The exterior is a hard hull that doesn’t let moisture in or out. The inside is the endosperm and some moisture. When the oil heats the kernel, the moisture inside turns to steam. As it expands, pressure builds up inside the kernel until it finally bursts open. This is the popping.
The reason why you need oil is that the heat of the kettle won’t heat the kernels evenly. If they aren’t heated evenly, they will burn before the moisture has a chance to expand enough to rupture the hull. The stirring mechanism in the kettle keeps the kernels moving and turning so that they are evenly heated and prevents them from sticking to the kettle or burning.
Once they finish popping, there is usually a handle you can pull to dump the popped popcorn into the base of the machine. Popcorn machines often have a warming deck that will keep your popcorn fresh and warm until you are ready to eat it.
It is simple to make popcorn. Someone will need to add kernels and oil and turn it on. Then they can dump the popcorn into the base when it is cooked. At that point, it is ready to serve.
What Kind of Oil Should You Use in the Popcorn Machine?
You have different choices when it comes to the oil you use. The type of oil you use will have an impact on the flavor as well as what toppings go well with the popcorn. When you get popcorn at the movies, it usually doesn’t have any butter in it. They use oil that is flavored with butter.
You can’t use butter when you cook popcorn because it weighs more than oil and it is too heavy for the popcorn. Oil coats the kernels more evenly as well. If you want to mix oil with other flavored toppings, you might choose oil that has a high smoke content and no flavor, such as grapeseed oil. It will help to ensure that the popcorn stays crunchy and that as many kernels as possible pop.
Take a look at some of the popular oils used in popcorn machines:
- Coconut Oil: Coconut oil has a low smoke point of just 350 degrees Fahrenheit. It heats up enough to cook the popcorn and it is one of the healthier options. Coconut oil is known for being good for the heart and it helps people lose fat around the abdomen. It adds a sweet taste to popcorn and it smells great. You can use it with flavors such as salty, spicy, and kettle popcorn.
- Olive Oil: Olive oil is also a healthy option as it contains antioxidants and oleic acid. Its flavor is neutral so it can be used with other toppings and flavors.
- Avocado Oil: It has a high smoke point and it has a lot of healthy fats. It can also remove toxins. Its flavor is strong and buttery, but it is more expensive than other types of oil.
- Sunflower Oil: It also has a high smoke point and it doesn’t change the taste of the popcorn.
- Canola Oil: It is the least expensive oil that you can use and it has a high smoke point. However, it is often highly processed, which makes it a less healthy option.
- Grapeseed Oil: It has a very high smoke point and people use it to make gourmet popcorn. It has a neutral flavor with a subtle nutty taste. This oil is great for mixing with butter.
- Peanut Oil: This might not work at a wedding if you have any concerns about guests having nut allergies. However, it is a great option for cooking popcorn
But be careful, most machines don’t work well with butter.
How Much Does It Cost to Rent a Popcorn Machine?
Generally speaking, you will pay by how long you plan to rent the popcorn machine. For example, you might pay between $50 and $175. In addition, when you rent from a party supply store, they will often provide a machine operator and you have to pay by the hour. They can charge between $30 and $225 depending on how many operators you need and how long you need them.
Some people choose to buy a popcorn machine because they enjoy having them. If you have a smaller wedding reception, you can buy a machine for between $200 and $400. After your wedding, you can enjoy a movie night with popcorn whenever you want. You will still need someone to man the machine, but if you love popcorn, this is a viable option.
Having a popcorn machine at your wedding can be a lot of fun. Your guests will enjoy this delicious snack and you can choose the type of popcorn kernels, the oil you cook them in, and the toppings. It is easy to rent a popcorn machine from a party store or you can buy one that you will enjoy long after the wedding is over.