Popcorn is one of the most popular snacks in the world. 15 billion quarts of popcorn are eaten every year in the U.S, while billions more are consumed globally.
Weaver Popcorn is the largest bulk popcorn producer in the world and provides popcorn to more than 90 countries. But it isn’t necessarily everyone’s go-to brand.
Each country has its own popular brands of popcorn, and you may never have heard of some of them before.
So, let’s find out which popcorn brands are adored across the globe. This list may even inspire you to try a new brand of yummy popcorn.
Which Country Eats the Most Popcorn?
The countries that eat the most amount of popcorn tend to be the ones where visiting the movie theater is a popular pastime. The theater and popcorn go hand in hand, after all!
With this in mind, you won’t be surprised to read that the U.S. eats more popcorn than any other country in the world.
In second place is Japan, followed by China in third place, and France in fourth place.
Read about one of the world’s most interesting popcorn companies next – Double Good Popcorn.
Most Popular Popcorn Brands in the World
As the U.S. is the biggest popcorn consumer in the world, the most popular and best-selling brands worldwide are mostly from here. However, there are some big popcorn brands elsewhere in the world, which we share with you below.
- Pop Secret (USA) – Pop Secret is a well-known and much-loved brand that has been around since 1986. It’s so good that it even took over from Orville Redenbacher to become the supplier of popcorn at Disney Parks in 2015.
- Orville Redenbacher (USA) – Orville Redenbacher is often referred to as the “King of Popcorn”. Redenbacher first launched his brand of popcorn in the late 1960s and it’s been a big hit ever since. Today, it’s one of the best-selling brands of popcorn and is loved by millions.
- Butterkist (UK) – Butterkist popcorn is owned by KP Snacks. Although it’s now most often seen on shelves in UK grocery stores and movie theaters, it was developed in the U.S. as ‘Butter-Kist’. The company currently makes around 5,000 tonnes of popcorn every year.
- Act II (USA) – Act I was a frozen microwaveable type of popcorn that was launched in 1981. It was in 1984 when Act II made its mark with the launch of a microwavable bag of popcorn that didn’t need to be refrigerated or frozen.
- Lucky Elephant (Canada) – Lucky Elephant popcorn is popcorn like no other. It’s coated bright pink for a start. Plus, the box it comes in contains a small prize. Many people say that it’s more like candy than popcorn.
- Smartfood (USA) – Smartfood popcorn first made its name known in 1985. It is particularly known for its cheddar popcorn and its high quality.
Most Popular Popcorn Brands in the USA
A National Today survey quizzed 1,000 Americans on their favorite popcorn brands. The top 3 brands were:
- Orville Redenbacher
- Pop Secret
- Act II
These three brands aren’t the only popular popcorn brands in The States. Sales figures show that more and more people have been tucking into the following brands:
- Private label brands
Most Popular Popcorn Brands in the UK
There are just over 20 different popcorn manufacturers and brands in the UK. Butterkist is the most popular popcorn brand in the UK, according to Statista. The next most popular brands of popcorn are:
- Private label brands
Gourmet popcorn sales are also on the up in the UK. There’s a clear winner in this category, and it’s Joe and Seph’s. The brand has won 82 Great Taste awards to date. It’s often referred to as the “best-tasting” popcorn in the UK.
Most Popular Popcorn Brands in Japan
Hill Valley popcorn is cited as being “The first gourmet popcorn made in Japan”, so it’s unsurprising that the brand is well-loved. It also sells some unique flavors of popcorn, including Strawberry Fraise and Riche TruffleMore.
Most Popular Popcorn Brands in China
Chinese popcorn is very different from the popcorn we know and love in America. You’ll rarely find butter popcorn or salted popcorn in China. Sweet popcorn is all the rage instead and it’s normal to find popcorn coated in lots of sugar.
One of the most common brands of popcorn that’s found in China is Indiam. It has three popular flavors which you’ll notice are all sweet:
- Honey butter
Most Popular Popcorn Brands in France
Maison Popcorn is an authentic French brand of popcorn. It’s the first French, agroecological, palm oïl-free microwaveable brand of popcorn.
Yummy Pop is also popular in France. Not only does it taste great, but the Yummy Pop shop in Paris is owned by actress Scarlett Johansson.
Most Popular Popcorn Brands in Australia
Australia is another nation of popcorn-eaters. A popular brand of popcorn Down Under is Lolly Gobble Bliss Bombs which are made by Greens. The popcorn is caramelized and is sold in a ready-to-eat bag.
Australians also love going to the theater to watch the latest movies. Two of the biggest movie theater chains in the country are HOYTS and Event Cinemas. Both chains sell some impressive and moreish popcorn which are loved by the nation.
HOYTS sells its own brand of popcorn. In contrast, Event Cinemas sells Parlour Lane popcorn.
Popcorn is a snack that millions of people indulge in every day. While every country likes its popcorn in a slightly different way, it’s clear to see that the global population loves this tasty, little snack. Now that we’ve opened your eyes to the brands of popcorn other nations eat, we hope that when you’re next overseas, you’ll give their popcorn a try.
Before microwave popcorn Jiffy Pop was one of the most popular popcorn brands – find out how to make it here.
Sue’s favorite pastime? Watching a good movie with a giant tub of popcorn by her side. Her friends and family know that if they want to get her something, popcorn is always a safe bet. Sue has an adventurous spirit and loves to travel exploring new places – she’s been to more than 40 countries!